Radon

Don’t gamble with your home and health!

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas produced by the breakdown of uranium in the soil, rock and water. Radon can’t be seen, smelled or tasted but it still may be a problem in your home. The surgeon general has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, only behind smoking!

Radon enters the home due to the difference in pressure from inside of the home and the soil around the home. The house acts like a vacuum, drawing radon in through the foundation cracks and other openings.

Testing the home is the way to know if you have radon in your home. The amount is measured in picocuries per liter of air (pCi/L). If test results come back high, mitigation to the home is recommended by a state licensed mitigation company. The average indoor radon level is estimated to be about 1.3 pCi/L, and about 0.4 pCi/L of radon is normally found in the outside air. If your results come back below 4.0 pCi/L then mitigation is not recommended. However if your test results come in higher than 4.0 pCi/L then mitigation/correction is recommended to lower the radon levels for safety in the home.

Further information can be found on your state Department Health and Human Services web site.

Information provided by DHHS-Nebraska