Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a concern for all home owners. It is estimated that 300 people are killed by CO each year in their home. CO has no taste, color or odor and almost all CO problems are caused by poor maintenance and/or improper use of a fuel burning equipment.

As the home owner you can take simple precautions to protect you and your family. Keeping the systems in your home properly maintained and following the manufacturer’s instructions is essential. Protecting your family with a CO detector is easy and a new law in the Omaha area. When you go to sell your home now, you have to install a CO detector in the home. These CO detectors should be replaced every 5 years to insure proper operation.

Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu without a fever. Dizziness, nausea, fatigue and headaches can occur with CO poisoning, if your symptoms go away when your outdoors or not at home and if all your family members have similar symptoms it is recommend to have your home checked for CO.

Keeping systems and items in your home in proper working order can help save a life!

Information provided by: Tom Feiza – Mr. Fix-It